Bachelor of Paramedic Science
Bachelor of Paramedic Science/Graduate Certificate in Emergency and Disaster Management
Welcome to CQUniversity's Work Integrated Learning (WIL) online placement system 'Sonia'. In Sonia you are required to:
1. Submit your Mandatory Checks for verification by the WIL Compliance Team
2. Access forms, resources and WIL Policies and Guidelines
3. View your Work Integrated Learning (WIL) placement details. N.B. Placement details are also available in the QAS SPOT database for QLD placements.
Mandatory Checks (WIL Compliance Team) via WILCompliance@cqu.edu.au.
Placement (WIL Officer) via WIL-HMAS@cqu.edu.au.
Academic Unit Coordinators via email@example.com.
Preferencing Dates for 2023 Placements:
PMSC13002 & PMSC13004 (Joint Preferencing)
- Please note: Your preferences will be used for both placement units for Year 3
Preferencing Opens: Tuesday, 4 October 2022 at 9:00 am AEST - Closes: Friday, 28 October 2022 at 5:00 pm AEST.
Preferencing Opens: Monday, 13 February 2023 at 9:00 am AEST - Closes: Friday, 10 March 2023 at 5:00 pm AEST.
How to Preference
- Preference seven (7) stations from five (5) different districts. N.B., For preferencing purposes, the Brisbane districts (Logan, Moreton, South Brisbane, North Brisbane) are considered one district.
- Placements are determined through automatic computer allocation from student preferences.
- Use the purple 'Preference' button found under the 'Placement' tab to choose your preferred stations for placement.
- When preferencing, you can only choose a station once. Sonia will automatically disregard stations that you have previously been placed at.
- If you have not enrolled in the placement unit and are not included in the placement group in Sonia, you will not be able to see the purple 'Preference' button to make your preferences.
Enrol in the placement unit and contact your WIL PO via WIL-HMAS@cqu.edu.au as soon as possible and request to be added to the placement group.
2023 Placement and Mandatory Check Closing Dates:
- Placement Commencing 31 July 2023 to 3 September 2023 (5 Weeks)
- Last compliance cut-off for Mandatory Checks (via Sonia) COB Friday 16 June 2023. *Check MC Guide for full list of cut-off dates
- Placement Commencing 27 March 2023 to 30 April 2023 (5 Weeks)
- Last compliance cut-off for Mandatory Checks (via Sonia) COB Friday 10 February 2023. *Check MC Guide for full list of cut-off dates
- Placement Commencing 17 July 2023 to 20 August 2023 (5 Weeks)
- Last compliance cut-off for Mandatory Checks (via Sonia) COB Friday 2 June 2023. *Check MC Guide for full list of cut-off dates
Other Important Information at a Glance:
1. Contacting an ambulance service
- Please be aware that you are not permitted to contact an ambulance service directly to organise any clinical observer shifts, ride-alongs or make-up shifts. f you do this, you will be in breach of the Student Charter and will face an Academic Misconduct Investigation and risk being excluded from placement.
- The only time you can contact an ambulance service is once you have been allocated a placement and you are introducing yourself and seeking local information such as parking or access information for your first shift.
- Students can email their OIC to introduce themselves approximately one month prior to placement if your OIC has not made contact with you. QLD students can use the generic OIC email address located in the QAS placement management system (SPOT).
2. Conflicts of Interest
- You cannot preference placement at an Ambulance Station where you have a spouse or family member working.
- You cannot preference to undertake placement at a station within a district where you currently work. This includes any volunteers, LAC Members, EMDs, PTOs and/or paramedics. If you fall into one of these categories please contact your academic Unit Coordinator via firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. KINNECT Medical Report/Fit Slip (QLD Placements)
- KINNECT will not issue your Medical Report/Fit Slip on the day of your medical. This will be emailed to you 2 - 3 days after.
- Upload the Medical Report/Fit Slip as soon as you receive it to the corresponding check in Sonia.
4. Application for Special Consideration/Exceptional Circumstances for Placement
- If you an extenuating circumstance impacting your placement which requires consideration, an 'Application for Special Consideration (Exceptional Circumstances) for WIL Placement' form must be completed.
- The 'Application for Special Consideration (Exceptional Circumstances) for WIL Placement' form cannot be requested until preferencing for your placement has opened. Once preferencing has commenced, to request an 'Application for Special Consideration (Exceptional Circumstances) for WIL Placement' form, please email WIL-HMAS@cqu.edu.au.
- Once completed/submitted your Unit Coordinator will review your application. Submission of the application does not mean automatic approval.
6. Disclosable outcomes on National Criminal History Checks
- If you have a 'Disclosable Outcome' listed on your National Criminal History Check, you are to immediately discuss this with the Head of Course and placement academic unit coordinator. The presence of a disclosable outcome needs to be disclosed to the ambulance jurisdiction where CQUni are intending on placing you and CQUni requires approval of the ambulance jurisdiction prior to the placement being approved.